a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBJz8JK/">

Monday, October 5, 2009

Lack of organization

I am, simply put, a slob!  I have no organizational skills.  Well somewhere there must be a little bit, but really I am a mess.  My car is a wreck!  My bedroom looks like a  Category 5 Hurricane blew through.  When my husband and I lived in Pennsylvania, I had a big ol' pile of clothes in the corner of our bedroom.  He nicknamed it Mount Dani.  Mount Dani has now moved with us.  It is in one of the extra rooms in the basement, right across the hall from the laundry room.   When I actually get around to doing laundry, I grab a few of those and throw them in with the rest.  It is very very very slowly shrinking. 

My problem is, I dont want to get rid of them.  I have so very many clothes that do NOT fit me.   I have trouble getting rid of them, though.  Maybe, someday, they will fit again!  So they hang around, until that day, when the very best thing for me to do would be to get rid of them.  Send them to Goodwill.   Some of these clothes are years and years old.  I wouldn't doubt it if I found some leg warmers in there, with sparkles!!!!
I have tried to get rid of them.  They go into the laundry, they come out nice and clean.  I put them in a box.  The box ends up in the basement because I keep forgetting to bring it to Goodwill.  They get that basement smell.  I put them in the laundry....you get the picture.

Pretty much, my whole life goes like this.  No organization leads to much more work than necessary, which leads to frustration, which just makes me want to give up.

Dont get me wrong, I like organization.  I actually thrive in an organized environment.  I think how lovely it is not to trip over my dirty clothes on my way to the bathroom in the dark at night.   Not to stub my toe on the kids toys which are everywhere. (Lots of those need to go to Goodwill too!)  Not to lose so much mail, because I just don't have a place that I put it every time. 

Car keys....oh how my husband hates it when I can't find them.   Everytime he says to me, "Why don't you just put them in the same place every time.  Then you would know where they are."  Well 95%...maybe 85% of the time I put them on the hook just inside the front door.  It is there just for the purpose of holding and keeping track of my keys.  Those suckers just jump right off of there and hide themselves.  I know they do!!  Then I trip over toys, get tangled up in rogue clothes strewn about, shout a few expletives in the process and finally find my keys.  I know it doesn't need to be this hard.

So you get the point.....I'm a mess and it makes my life harder than it needs to be.

I am a disorganized eater as well.  Often I don't have healthy food in the house.  I never seem to have time to go grocery shopping after hunting down the keys, kicking toys out of the way and disentagling myself from the laundry.  So I eat on the run.  I eat fast food.  I order out.  I know these are not healthy choices.  I do them anyway.  It is what I have time for.   I don't pay attention to what I am eating.  I wake up in the morning and eat last night's leftovers.  I skip lunch.  Then I am famished by dinner and while I am out running errands I pick up something.  Anything.  As long as its quick. 

Remember the soda?  It's harder than I thought!  In fact Ive had 2 today.  I don't think I realized just how much of it I was drinking before.  Again, it's when Im on the run.  I went shopping with my sister today.  I skipped breakfast.  We didnt finish shopping until afternoon.    So what did I do?  I stopped and picked something up on my way home because that was what I had time for.  It included a soda. That is in addition to the one I had while I was shopping.  I am frustrated with myself!  I realize I do it without even thinking about it.  So while I am frustrated with myself, I  am happy that I am starting to see how much I eat and drink without even thinking about it.  I am happy that I have realized that my disorganized lifestyle is hindering my goal to a healthy lifestyle.  Where does it stop?  I can lie and say now.  I have said that so many times in the past.  I mean it every time I say it.  I really, truly do mean it.  I want to do it.  I need to do it.  

So one of my goals with this journey that is not a specific part of my Lap Band, is to become more organized.  I think in order to be successful I will have to do that.

I actually made a teeny tiny step in the right direction today.  I bought a basket.  A basket?  Yep a basket.  It is the perfect size for my mail.  When I come in the house I can now put the mail in my perfect little orange basket.  Not on the counter, or in the bedroom or where ever I happen to lay it down.  Although, I know those sneaky envelopes are in cahoots with my keys!  They skitter away together somewhere I'm sure of it.

I'm about to take one more teeny tiny step.  I'm thinking ahead.  That in itself is quite a rare occasion.  I am going to stop typing and go directly to the kitchen.  I am going to take some chicken out of the freezer.  I will not be able to use the excuse, " there is nothing to make for dinner" tomorrow night.  I will have wonderfully, thought ahead of, thawed chicken.  I will not allow the clothes, the toys, the keys, the envelopes, the children, the cat, the dog, my husband or the teeny tiny elves that also make my life interesting get in my way.   I will do this one thing to increase the organization in my life. 

I have to start somewhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment